Monday, June 4, 2012

"It's All In A Name"

Two days ago, I made the decision that I was going to create a blog page as a way of sharing my personal experiences with battling cancer. Truthfully, the idea to start a blog came to me months ago but was quickly dismissed after stressing over what to name it (I have cancer for Pete's sake-like I need any additional mental strain). To most people, naming a blog is not something that would send them into a cold sweat. But for me, I stress over minute details like these. Do you go kitschy trying to work "breast" or "boob" into a cute catch phrase or go serious? Too much to think about and so I filed the thoughts of creating a blog into the very dark corners of my brain.

Over the past few months, many people have reached out to me claiming that they've been keeping up with my updates on Facebook and that they admire my strength and positive attitude (which I purposefully keep to a bare minimum when it comes to divulging the real TMI issues that I have experienced thus far in my treatment. After all, I am mindful that the boy who sat next to me in 8th grade science class did not sign up for the disclosure of those details). It wasn't until recently that a friend of mine mentioned that I should write a blog about my personal accounts dueling with the big 'C' and the thoughts that were tucked away in that dark remote space in my brain resurfaced. Now, the thought of posting to a blog was not quite as scary. And so the portmanteau of breast words began circling in my head.

The first part of my blog name came to me while relaxing poolside. I received a text from my sister - Uplifted Boobs has sent you a message. Yep, it's my sister's username. It always brings a smile to my face, just like my sister does. During this fight, one of the things that I draw on to get me through the down times is my sense of humor. It's a real slap in the face to cancer too...cancer may be able to take my hair, but not my laughter. So although my sister & I do not share the same style of tomfoolery, I tend to be more dry-witted and low key and my sister is more boisterous and over the top, it seemed appropriate to dedicate part of my blog name (which may also be interpreted as stealing) to her for her ability to make me laugh in any situation. Oh, and it also helped that the body part corresponded with the area of my body which has been inflicted by cancer and that when this combat is through & all that remains are the battle scars, I will be in possession of some uplifted boobs (not triple Ds but definitely lifted)...at least there is one perk to this whole cancer thing.

Which leaves the second part of the blog name, My Battle with Breast Cancer...um, think that is self-explanatory. Basically, I created this blog as a way to share my personal accounts with family & friends without the constraints of many public forums. I don't proclaim myself as being some sort of professional writer (I wasn't blessed with the wonderful talents that my husband possesses of putting words to paper so eloquently) so bear with me as I try to figure this whole blogging thing out.


So here we go...hope that you will join me on this journey.

11 comments:

  1. I can't wait to read about your journey. You continue to inspire me, Lisa!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, your support over the past months has meant so much to me. Proud to have you along on this journey! xo

      Delete
    2. Hi Lisa,

      Thanks so much for including me! I am stuck in the 80's as far as technology is concerned (my cell phone is a perfect example)! I also happen to love the hair and music from the 80's!!! Although I don't share your pain, I do share your hope. Your positive attitude is one I hope the Minakowski kids continue with forever. Of course, I will remind them along the way! My prayers are always with you.

      Love,
      Lisa

      BTW (I'm so proud that I know what that stands for!!!) We can't wait to see you June 20!

      Delete
    3. Ha ~ still love you know matter what era you are stuck in...happens to be one of my favorite decades anyway. Looking forward to your visit as well...we have to talk about the date though. I will message you later.

      Delete
  2. yeah Lisa! go for it! I think it's a great idea. I'll be following.
    (p.s. - if you need any info on blogging, I'm happy to help. I'm no pro, but have learned a few things with mine that you might be able to use)
    d e n i s e

    ReplyDelete
  3. No need to be modest, Denise. Your blog is fabulous. I am coming into this whole blogging thing completely blind, not sure what direction it will take me, but could certainly take some advice from the pros. Thanks for offering.
    All the best,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa~ Amazing doesn't begin to describe the person you are! Your strength and courage under fire has been so admirable. Your positivity and sense of humor has been one that has looked at this ugly disease and laughed in its face with the hopes of never returning. You are stronger than it! You have family and friends all over that are cheering you on and praying daily, and that knowledge alone is empowering. Your attitude is such an inspiration to people all over who are facing adversities. Keep your chin up and continue to fight strong! Love you!
    xo Annie
    Ps: I thought this quote was appropriate for you:

    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne, you are going to make me cry, woman! Thank you so much for the beautiful words of encouragement. I laugh when I recall that morning thinking that I "figured out" the whole survival of cancer thing...whew, I had no idea what I was in store for but at least I had a plan to build on. One thing that I have "figured out" is that I continue to be surrounded by an amazing core of people, such as yourself, who continue to cheer me on & pick me up when I fall. It's easy to be strong. Thanks for all of your support & continued prayers.
      Love you too!
      Lisa

      Delete
  5. Ps: We are getting together on of these days!! Maybe Avalon this summer??

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found your blog while searching for something else. I was married to a woman who was diagnosed with cancer 11 years after we were married. She died two months after her diagnosis. September 19th of this year was the 10th annivesary of her death. She had a large family who loved her, because she loved them, and I loved her, because she loved me.

    Her tumor had already started spreading when it was found, and her chemo was delayed because her hospital doctors made her stay in her hospital bed, so she developed a blood clot in one leg that was more urgent than her cancer.

    I hope you get well soon and have a long life.

    Just out of sheer coincidence, your first blog post was made on my birthday.

    David

    Begun June 2012
    www.conservingthenation.blogspot.com

    Begun July 2012
    www.ihadtowritethis.blogspot.com

    Begun September 2012
    www.deity-dialog-blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,

      It's crazy how we stumble upon things...I'm glad that you happened to stumble upon my blog and shared your story with me. I'm sure your wife was an incredible woman. She was blessed to have been surrounded by so many people who loved her while she was sick. I can tell you from my own experience, the support & love received from your loved ones pick you up when you fall down and never give up hope that you will get better. I'm sorry that your wife passed away. She left the earth with cancer in her body, but a heart filled with love.
      All the best to you.

      Lisa

      Delete